Building connection and community virtually is probably going to be one of the most difficult things you will do as a leader.
In a shared office space, it’s much easier to catch up as you walk by someone’s desk or shoot the breeze and chat about their weekends as you enter into a team meeting. These social connections are harder to recreate when working remotely or in a hybrid fashion. Therefore, you need to work at creating this connection and community while you are all based in different locations.
Tips on building connection & community
- Build in creative ice breaker questions at the beginning of each team meeting
*Hint - ask dynamic questions - questions whereby everyone learns more about their teammates, ask questions that evoke thinking, ask questions that are fun
- Create a non-work chat channel
*Hint - Messaging apps are great for this. PepTalk has recently moved to Signal
- Consider your onboarding strategy - how will you ensure that new people on your team feel connected and a part of the community?
- Build a buddy system - perhaps this can be a useful tool for onboarding new talent?
- Create a theme of the day - team pets (get creative!), remote working views, the question of the day/week, one-word check-ins…
If you want to see an example of a remote team building connection, take a look at one of Simon Sinek’s team meetings.
Dozens of awesome Ice-Breaker questions
To help you get started here's a list of some really good ice-breaker questions. Feel free to add your own variations to these ones.
- What’s the best hotel you have ever stayed in and why?
- If you had to relive the same day for the rest of your life, which day would you choose?
- What’s the last thing you bought for under 50 euro/dollars that you love and use often?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- Which season fits your personality?
- If you could have any fictional character as a friend, who would you choose and why?
- What’s the last random thing that made you smile?
- What’s your favourite quote?
- Which famous person have you met?
- Who are three people you want on your team if there was a zombie apocalypse?
- What would your rap name be?
- What’s your most-used emoji?
- Which celebrity do you shamelessly follow in the news?
- What’s the worst haircut you’ve ever had?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you during a date?
- What’s your most powerful and vivid memory?
- What’s the first music you bought?
- What’s one of your pet peeves?
- What’s the best date you’ve ever been on?
- What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
- Describe your worst date ever.
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- What’s something that you will NEVER do again?
- What activity do you enjoy so much that it makes you lose track of time?
- When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What’s something you believed earlier in your career but think about differently now?
- What was your favouite subject in school?
- What book have you recently read that you would recommend and why?
- What’s the last thing you completed on your bucket list?
- What’s the best gift you have ever received?
- What show on Netflix did you binge watch embarrassingly fast?
- If you could buy your dream house, what is one weird room or feature you would have?
- If you could do anything in the next year, what would it be?
- If you could have one superpower, what would you choose?
- If you could go back in time, what one thing would you tell your teenage self?
- If you could compete in the Olympics, which sport would you choose?
- If you could instantly be an expert in a subject, what would it be?
- If you could only have 5 apps on your phone, what would they be?
- If you could live in a sitcom, which one would it be?
- If you could arm wrestle any historical figure, who would you choose and why?
- If you could only eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?